I wrote this page to provide you with a bird’s eyeview of what’s in my site. It contains the whole list of articles I have to help you learn how to make a website on your own. Be warn, as this is literally an A to Z list. Although not in alphabetical order, obviously.
If you find this page a bit too much, you can start by reading the summary of topics page. It’s exactly what it says on the tin. The start here link on the menu bar above will take you there as well for quick navigation. That should be enough to get you started.
Full List of Articles
The site is modular in approach. You may decide to explore a particular subtopic and read specific articles within it.
Section 1. Research your Web Project
Start your project right. It begins with researching your web project.
- Different Types of Website Projects
- How Much Does a Website Cost?
- Do you really need a Website?
- Static Website – What is it and When to Use it?
- What is a Dynamic Website & When to Use it?
- Choosing When to Use Static or Dynamic Pages
- Anatomy of a Website
- 14 Website Ideas to Help You Start Your Own Site
- Must have basic computer skills when building Internet sites
- How to research your target audience
- How To Reach Your Website Audience
- List of web browsers and share of internet users per browser
- The purpose, function and components of web browsers?
- Step 1: Choose a Domain Name
- Branding vs. Keyword Rich Domain Names
- How to Register Your Own Domain Name
- Choosing the best domain name registrar
- What to do if domain name is unavailable?
- A generic .com or country code specific top level domain name
- What to do with domain name after you bought it?
- Will you choose to get a free domain name for your website?
- Do I own my domain name?
- Can you change your Domain Registrar?
- Subdirectory Vs.Sub-domain – Which one to use when?
- What Does It Mean to Park a Domain Name?
- Different Types of Web Hosting Plans
- Step 2: Find a Web Hosting Company
- Unlimited Web Hosting Uncovered
- Is there Really a Free Web Hosting Plan?
- Linux vs Windows Hosting
- List of Resource Usage Limits on Web Hosting to Watch Out
- Moving to a New Web Host Guide
Section 2. Website Planning
Failure to plan is planning to fail. Don’t be part of those who choose not to succeed. Plan your website project goals the SMART way.
- List of Skills Needed By A Website Builder
- 10 Components of a Good Website Project Scope Document
- The Role of a Webmaster
- The Role of a Website Project Manager
- Tips on How to Choose and Hire Website/Graphic Designer
- How to Hire a Website Content Writer
- How to Choose and Hire Web Developer
- How to Spot a Bad Designer
- The Difference Between Website Designers & Developers
- Setting SMART Website Goals and Objectives
- How to best structure your article
- Types of Media that can be Used on Online Articles
- Tips on How to Overcome Writer’s Block
- Finding your Niche as a Writer
- Tips for Effective Content Writing
Section 3. WordPress
- Top 7 Security Tips to Protect Your WordPress Website
- Installing WordPress – Part II – Plugins, Pages and Posts
- Top Key Features of WordPress
- Do You Really Need Premium Themes for WordPress?
- 7 Most Important Thing to do right after WordPress Installation
- Top Eight Benefits of Using WordPress as a Blog or a CMS
- How to Customize the WordPress Layout
- Creating a Static Front Page in WordPress Blog
- 3 Easy Ways to Install WordPress Plugins
- How to Build a Small Business Website using WordPress
- How to Set up Akismet on a WordPress Site
- Top 6 Essential WordPress Plugins You Should Install
- 7 Things to do after Switching to a New WordPress Theme
- Top 15 Most Common WordPress Mistakes
- Build Your Own WordPress Excerpt Plugin
- WordPress 3.3 – What’s New?
- 3 Best WordPress Plugins to Make Your Site Responsive!
- 10 Easy Steps to Create a Non-Blog WordPress Site
- How to Display Featured Image Thumbnails for Your WordPress Articles
- Step 3: Install WordPress
Section 4. Website Promotion
Build a site and they will all come, right? Wrong! Learn what you need to do in order to be seen online. To start you off right, read the 101 + ways to increase website traffic!
Search Engine Marketing
- Developing Brand Through Display Advertising
- Offline and Online Display Advertising
- Effective Text and Image Advertising
- Display Advertising On Multiple Platforms
- Effective Video Advertising
Social Media Marketing
- Effective Email Marketing Revealed
- Write Better Email Subject Lines
- Basics of Email Marketing
- Email Marketing through e-Newsletters
- Timing in Advertising through Email
- Common Implementations in Mobile Advertising
- Good Qualities of a Mobile Web Advertisement
- Some DO’s and DON’Ts in Mobile Advertising
- Great Places to Start in Mobile Advertising
- How to write an effective article for each web page
- 5 Tips on how to write an effective Headline
- Tips on Creating Viral Content
- Tips for an Effective Copy
- 5 Secrets to Approve Your Comments on Blogs Quickly!
Section 5. Website Maintenance
Master the skills of a webmaster. Helpful articles relating to web analytics, security, backups and more
- How to Monitor and Evaluate Progress of your Website
- How to speed up website
- Tips for faster web page load time
- What is server uptime?
- What is server downtime and its causes?
- Monitoring website uptime and downtime
Search Engine Optimization
- How To Optimize An Image To Attract More Visitors
- How to Use Meta Tags in To Improve Your Website Traffic
- How to use Long Tail Keywords to Get More Traffic
- How to Create a Search Engine Friendly Website
- How to Get the Search Engines to Index A Website
- How to Avoid Common Search Engine Optimization Mistakes
- How to Improve Your Search Engine Ranking
- Linkbait Tactics to increase website traffic
- SEO Strategies in Writing Content for the Web
- How to Submit your Website to Different Search Engines
- What is Google keyword research tool?
- What is off page optimization?
- What is onpage optimization?
- SEO – How to Select the Right Keywords
- SEO – How to Optimize Website with Your Keywords
- SEO – Getting Backlinks to Your Site
- 5 Important Things to Avoid While Leaving Comments on Blogs!
Bonus Topic 1: Web Design
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Learn some tips related to website design.
- How to Redesign a Website
- Understanding Web Safe Colors
- Choosing the Best Fonts for Website Use
- Choosing the Perfect Color Scheme for Website Use
- How to choose the best audio and video multimedia software
- Graphic Design Aspects Web Designers Should Consider
- Components of an Effective Website Header
- Components of an Effective Website Footer
- Basic Principles of Web Design
- Elements of a Good Web Design
Graphics & Images
- Choosing the Right Image File Types
- How to choose the best graphic software for website use
- Free Stock Photos and Images for your Website
Bonus Topic 2: Website Development
Debunking the code. Learn some tips in coding and developing your site.
- Are Website Templates any good?
- How to choose the best website development software
- 7 Web Development Mistakes You Should Avoid!
- Top 7 Indispensable Tips for Budding Web Developers
- Top 7 Ways to Decrease Web page Load Time
- 15 Things You Should Be Thankful for as a Web Developer
- Top 5 Open Source Web Application Frameworks You Must Know!
- Top 5 Essential Qualities of an Effective Web Developer
- 12 Necessary Firefox Plugins for Web Developers
- Learning Web Development through Tweaking in 10 Easy Steps
- Should You Choose Website Template or Custom Development
- Quick Tricks to Develop a Responsive Websites
- Is there 3 Easy Tricks to Craft a Responsive Design?
- Save Web Server Bandwidth to Reduce Server Load Times
- How to Make a Media-Friendly Website
Guide to HTML
- How to Create an HTML Page
- How to use HTML Links
- How to use the Image tag and attributes
- How to use HTML lists properly
- Overview of HTML Elements
- How to use the HTML heading tags (h1 to h6) correctly
- Guide in Formatting Text in HTML
- 7 Simple HTML Tips Good to Know
- Introduction to XHTML
Guide to CSS
- What is CSS?
- 3 ways to add CSS code to web pages
- Defining size and layout of website using CSS
- Defining margin and padding on web pages using CSS
- Defining backgrounds and borders of web pages with CSS
- Methods to define colors on your web pages using CSS
- Styling the Text and defining the Fonts with CSS
- Top 7 Tips to Know While Writing CSS
- Top 5 Interesting Things About CSS
- CSS Shorthand You Wished You Could Knew
- Nailing Down CSS Positioning in 9 Simple Steps
- 10 Accidental CSS Tips for Web Developers
- 12 Universal CSS Mistakes Web Developers Make
- Are You Using CSS3 Correctly?
- Creating Smooth Navigation Bar using Pure CSS and HTML
- Minimal Guide to Creating Your Own CSS-reset File
- Sticking Footers at the Bottom of the Web page
- How To Create Two-Column Fixed Width CSS Layout!
- Styling Your Forms with CSS
- Ins and Outs of the CSS Display Property
- 10 Secrets No Other CSS Master Will Tell You
Guide to PHP
- Introduction to PHP
- Your First PHP Program
- Introduction to PHP Sessions
- Displaying Records From Database Using PHP
- Inserting Records to MySQL Database Using PHP
- Delete Records from MySQL Database using PHP
- Updating Records from Database using PHP
- PHP vs. ASP
- Create a File-Based PHP News System
- Using PHP to Send Emails
- 5 Things to Do to Become a Superior PHP Developer
- 7 Advanced PHP Tips to Improve Your Programming
- Top 10 PHP Security Attacks and Its Prevention
- 10 Things That Makes You a Sluggish PHP Programmer
- 15 Brilliant Applications with PHP
- 10 Awesome PHP Functions for Beginners
- OOP-based PHP for Beginners – Part 1
- OOP-based PHP for Beginners – Part 2
- OOP-based PHP for Beginners – Part 3
- OOP-based PHP for Beginners – Part 4
- OOP-based PHP for Beginners – Part 5
- Top 10 PHP Tips for Developers
Guide to ASP
- Introduction to ASP Programming Language
- Installing, Running, and Testing ASP on your Computer
- Connecting to Microsoft’s Access Database Using ASP
- Inserting Records to an Access Database using ASP
- Removing Data on Access Database Using ASP
- Updating Records from Database using ASP
- PHP vs. ASP
Guide to Web Forms
- Introduction to Web Forms
- Web Forms – Creating a Demo Site – Part I
- Web Forms – Creating a Demo Site – Part II
- Web Forms – Creating a Demo Site– Part III
- Styling Your Forms with CSS
Bonus Topic 3: Website Launch
Launch with a bang. Check, check, check before you upload and release your site.
- Tips for a Usable Website
- What is an Accessible Website?
- Importance of validating a website markup
- Why you should test your website in different browsers
- Using cross browser testing tools
Here at Web Design Peeps, I aim to produce fresh articles on a regular basis. If you would like to request a tutorial or guide for a particular subject, feel free to contact me.